Today`s BJP does not match with my idea: Advani
New Delhi: On the occasion of the Bharatiya Janata Party’s 33rd Foundation Day celebrations taking place here, senior BJP leader LK Advani on Saturday said that the party should not feel sorry about its role in the Ayodhya movement.
The BJP should, however, take pride in its stand on the issue, said the veteran leader.
Commenting on the Samajwadi Party’s chief remark when he had hailed the BJP patriarch a few days ago, Advani said: "When people heard Mulayam Singh praising me, they raised concern. I believe if you say the right thing, the world will accept it. Don`t hesitate... don`t develop an inferiority complex. If we believe in Ayodhya (temple issue) and carried out an `andolan` for it, don`t be apologetic about it... never... we should take pride in it."
In his speech, Advani said he felt pride in admitting that his party raised the issue of Ram temple and Ayodhya as it was not just a political movement but also a cultural one.
"People say that BJP and Bharatiya Jana Sangh achieved this position by raising issues like Ayodhya and Ram temple. I feel proud in admitting this and say that ours is not just a political movement but also a cultural movement," he said.
Notably, Advani is the man behind the Ram Janmabhoomi movement which led to the demolition of the Babri mosque at Ayodhya in December 1992.
Speaking at the function, Advani told the audience that keeping in mind what is going on within the party, "today`s BJP is different from my idea of the party".
The senior leader further insisted there should be no compromise with indiscipline and corruption. "Things that I get to hear these days do not match with my idea of the BJP. I am deliberately raking this issue up today because I believe that this party can benefit the country a lot. But the country cannot be benefitted just by winning state elections, we have to have the policy of complete intolerance towards indiscipline and corruption," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Rio Olympics fallout: Swimmer Ryan Lochte charged over false robbery claim
- Donald Trump`s anti-immigration stance spurs surge from Central America
- Israel rejects UN appeal to release Gaza employee
- Nicolas Sarkozy tells comeback rally he would ban burkini across France
- Hillary Clinton tops 50 percent support from US voters in latest poll