Toddler’s death: Gurshan`s parents to leave for India today
Melbourne: Parents of three-year-old Indian toddler who was "killed" here on March 4, will leave for India Saturday night with the child`s body to perform the last rites.
They are likely to reach India tomorrow and the last rites are expected to be performed on Monday in Faridkot town of Punjab.
Gurshan`s father, Harjit, said he would discuss the possibility of return to Australia with his parents who are coming down from Canada to attend the funeral.
"We might come back after enrolling in a course but have not decided yet," he told a news agency.
He said he was sad and angry about the incident which happened with his son.
He asked media to question the accused on why and what made him do such heinous crime.
Meanwhile, a memorial service was today held for Gurshan which was attended by Indian Council General Anita Nair and leading members of the Indian community.
Meanwhile, Gurshan was remembered as a "loving and
bubbly son", whom they had hoped would be part of a "better
family life" in Australia.
At the Sikh funeral proceedings, Gurshan`s mother
Harpreet Kaur Channa addressed the memorial in English before
the visitors paid their tributes to the open coffin and placed
Channa said despite her high hopes for life with her
son and husband in Australia, "destiny had something else in
mind, and now we are going back without Gurshan`s smile and
Vasan Srinivasan, President of the Federation of
Indian Associations of Victoria, said the family wished to
thank the Victorian police, Victorian Government, SES workers
and the broader Australian community for their support.
He said arrangement were being made to help the
parents fly out of Melbourne for Delhi tonight with Gurshan`s
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way