Tololing, Tiger Hills lit up at Kargil anniversary
Drass (Kashmir): Army on Tuesday night illuminated
the Tololing and Tiger Hills, witness to some of the fiercest
gunbattles during the 1999 Kargil War, with beacons to
commemorate the 12th anniversary of its victory.
The lighting of beacon on the mountain peaks marked
the end of the two-day ceremony to commemorate the 12th
anniversary of the Kargil victory.
The Umpa La ridge which provides a panoramic view of
the Drass town, Mushko Valley, Tiger Hill and the Tololing
Hill was also lit up at night.
Tololing Hill, a key outpost used by Pakistani forces,
was taken over by the Indian Army after a fierce battle on
June 13, 1990.
The Tiger Hill, which became the rallying point during
the war after TV news-channels beamed images of heavy shelling
by Bofor guns, is the highest peak in the Drass sub-sector.
Kargil War, which began in May 1999, lasted more than
two months before Pakistani soldiers, a bulk of them drawn
from its Northern Light Infantry, withdrew from the mountain
tops they had occupied overlooking the Srinagar-Leh highway.
In the battles with Pakistani forces and irregulars,
the Indian Army lost 543 officers, soldiers and jawans, many
of whom were posthumously felicitated with gallantry awards.
The Drass War Memorial, where most of the functions of
the victory day were held is built at the foothills of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened