Too early to reach conclusion on monsoon: Montek
New Delhi: Allying apprehensions over the possibility of deficit rainfall this monsoon season, Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia today said it is too early to reach the conclusion that something adverse is happening.
"...As of now there is no reason to reach a conclusion that something adverse is happening," he replied when asked about monsoon delays that could lead to deficit rains, hitting economic growth.
Monsoon has missed its date this year with granary states of Punjab and Haryana.
"It is true that monsoon is late...May be a week to 10 days late. Just because monsoon is one week late does not mean that it is gong to have hugely negative effect," Ahluwalia said.
India`s crucial monsoon rains have been 31 per cent deficient so far but the weather office has forecast increase in rainfall for the peninsular region and fall in temperature for the northern region over the next four days.
The country has received 119.3 mm rainfall, as against the normal of 172 mm, since its onset last month till July 1, as per the data released by the weather office yesterday.
"Actually it is not (about) the date of the onset of monsoon, it is over all level, distribution over the next four months. You can have a situation where the monsoon is one week late or 10 days late but then it is healthy," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what