Top Army Commanders to discuss Naxal issue
New Delhi: The Naxal violence, which is spreading at an alarming rate and is regarded as the biggest internal challenge to the country’s security, will come up for discussion during the ongoing Army Commanders’ Conference on Tuesday.
In the last three years, the Naxalites have killed more than 2,600 people, including civilians. The highest number of casualties has taken place in Chhattisgarh, Bihar, Jharkhand and Orissa, where 2,212 people have died so far.
In the wake of prevailing and developing security environment, army commanders’ will also discuss key policy, and doctrinal issues.
The report, prepared by HQ Central Command, deals with resources required to tackle the Naxal menace, if the Army is called out to fight the Maoists.
“The Naxal situation is likely to be discussed and the resources required to tackle it, will be taken up by army commanders during the conference,” said a source.
This move is being initiated despite Union Home Minister P Chidambaram saying the government does not envisage using the armed forces to tackle the Maoists.
However, there have been instances in the past when the armed forces were called to assist the police to put down threats to internal security like in Assam, Nagaland, Mizoram, Punjab and Jammu and Kashmir.
The Army Commanders’ Conference commenced at Integrated Headquarters of Ministry of Defence (Army) on May 17. The five days conference has been scheduled from May 17 to 21.
Army Chief General VK Singh reviewed the regional security situation, in which he spoke of the asymmetric means adopted by non-state actors and terrorists to achieve their objectives.
He also mentioned the multi spectral threats, which directly affect military doctrines and restructuring. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof