Top CRPF, police officers visit Narayanpur attack site
Raipur: Top CRPF and Chhattisgarh police
officers today visited the ambush site in Narayanpur district
where 27 personnel of the central force were killed by Naxals.
CRPF chief Vikram Srivastava along with senior officials
of the state police and the Union Home Ministry also talked to
the villagers near the Daurai road area to understand the
sequence of events that led to the deadly ambush.
The officials met the troops of the 39th Battalion that
had come under the Maoist attack in the afternoon of June 29
and had alerted their base camp about the incident.
A large number of heavily-armed Maoists, perched on a
hilltop, had opened fire with automatic weapons on a 63-member
security contingent which was returning on foot from road
opening duty. The dead included a CRPF Assistant Commandant
The CRPF chief is expected to submit a report about the
incident to Home Minister P Chidambaram once he returns to New
According to sources, the security forces have gathered
credible inputs that the Maoists have buried 15 dead bodies
clad in black uniforms -- who have been killed in the
retaliatory fire by CRPF men during the ambush -- in the hill
slopes a few kilometres from the site at Narayanpur.
A contingent of security forces has been dispatched to
recover the bodies, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog