Top Left leaders meet PM, demand steps to bring down prices
New Delhi: Top Left leaders on Tuesday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here and demanded steps to bring down soaring prices of essential commodities and universalisation of public distribution system, among other things, to ensure food security to people.
The leaders later submitted to the government, what they said, were over five crore signatures collected during a two-month long nationwide campaign on these demands. The signatures on the charter of demands were delivered on a truck.
Those who met the Prime Minister at the Parliament House were Prakash Karat, Sitaram Yechury, Brinda Karat and Tapan Sen (all CPI-M), Sudhakar Reddy, D Raja (CPI), T J Chandrachoodan, Abani Roy (RSP) and Debabrata Biswas (All India Forward Bloc).
Besides universalisation of PDS, the demands raised during the campaign include scrapping of cash transfer schemes and export of foodgrains which are out of stock, enlarging the rural employment guarantee scheme, introduction of an urban employment guarantee scheme in view of the widespread loss of employment and rise in poverty in urban areas, stopping of futures trading in foodgrains.
Activists of the four Left parties also staged a demonstration at Jantar Mantar to focus on these demands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack