Top Left leaders meet PM, demand steps to bring down prices
New Delhi: Top Left leaders on Tuesday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here and demanded steps to bring down soaring prices of essential commodities and universalisation of public distribution system, among other things, to ensure food security to people.
The leaders later submitted to the government, what they said, were over five crore signatures collected during a two-month long nationwide campaign on these demands. The signatures on the charter of demands were delivered on a truck.
Those who met the Prime Minister at the Parliament House were Prakash Karat, Sitaram Yechury, Brinda Karat and Tapan Sen (all CPI-M), Sudhakar Reddy, D Raja (CPI), T J Chandrachoodan, Abani Roy (RSP) and Debabrata Biswas (All India Forward Bloc).
Besides universalisation of PDS, the demands raised during the campaign include scrapping of cash transfer schemes and export of foodgrains which are out of stock, enlarging the rural employment guarantee scheme, introduction of an urban employment guarantee scheme in view of the widespread loss of employment and rise in poverty in urban areas, stopping of futures trading in foodgrains.
Activists of the four Left parties also staged a demonstration at Jantar Mantar to focus on these demands.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!