Top LeT module planning to attack Delhi busted, one arrested
New Delhi: A terror module of Lashkar-e-Toiba which was in an "advanced stage" of planning a militant strike in Delhi has been busted by the Delhi Police with the arrest of a suspected operative from Mewat region of Haryana.
Mohammad Shahid (32) was arrested from his house in Mewat on Monday after police trailed him for more than one week.
Shahid was working as a `Maulvi` in Noorani Masjid in Choti Mewli village of Nuh district, while he is a permanent resident of Bazeedpur village in the same area.
"Secret information was received towards the end of November that a known LeT terrorist Javed Baluchi of Pakistan had been in touch with a sub module in Mewat and a conspiracy to commit a terrorist strike in the national capital was being hatched," said Deputy Commissioner of Police (Special Cell) Sanjeev Kumar Yadav.
This information was further developed and it was learnt that a member of this module is moving in Delhi, Haryana and Rajasthan.
To unravel the entire conspiracy, investigation was taken up by the Special Cell and Shahid was arrested after meticulous efforts, police said.
During interrogation, Shahid allegedly said that he had joined the LeT module about six/seven months ago and since then, was being handled by local Mewat based handlers.
"He further told us that LeT had made inroads in the Mewat region and his local handlers, who are presently absconding, were in touch with senior Pakistan based LeT commanders and were at an advanced stage of planning a terrorist strike in the national capital.
"The responsibility entrusted on Shahid was to arrange logistics and communication for the terrorist attack," said Yadav.
According to Delhi police sources, the terror module was spread across Delhi, Haryana and Rajasthan. Baluchi, who is a top LeT commander, was the handler of this module.
Shahid was introduced to him by a fellow Mewati and the duo had even gone to Pakistan apparently to meet him, sources said.
He had come under police scanner after investigators traced Baluchi`s calls to his cellphone and even recorded their conversations.
Special Cell officers have also recovered a diary from Shahid which gives details of the terror attack being planned in prominent market places of the national capital, the sources said.
The police said that the remaining members of this terrorist module, who have gone underground since the arrest of Shahid, are being identified and traced. Further investigations are on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo