Top UK ministers on two-day visit from Monday
New Delhi: Two top British ministers- Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs William Hague and Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne- will arrive on a two-day visit to India from Monday to hold talks with new leadership here on key areas including trade and defence.
Announcing the visit, External Affairs Ministry today said, "The joint visit of the delegation will provide an opportunity for both sides to work towards further strengthening the Indo-UK strategic partnership."
The UK Foreign Secretary will hold delegation level talks with his Indian counterpart Sushma Swaraj on July 8 and they will discuss bilateral, regional and global issues of mutual interest, the MEA said in a release.
The Chancellor of the Exchequer will hold Economic and Financial Dialogue (EFD) with Finance and Defence Minister Arun Jaitley, it added.
Both the British ministers will make a joint call on Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the ministry said.
During the visit, ways to enhance trade and investment and deepening of defence and security ties are expected to be discussed comprehensively.
UK observed a diplomatic boycott of Modi for nearly a decade after 2002 riots in Gujarat. The boycott was ended nearly a-year-and-a-half ago when British High Commissioner James Bevan called on Modi, then Gujarat Chief Minister, in Ahmedabad in 2012.
Hague and Osborne will be accompanied by an official delegation which would include three other UK ministers - Gregory Barker MP, Minister for Business Engagement with India and Minister of State for Climate Change and Energy; Oliver Letwin, Minister for Government Policy in the Cabinet Office and Joseph Edmund Johnson, Cabinet Office Minister.
"India and the UK have a strategic partnership since 2004 which has been marked by regular high level exchanges and growing cooperation in diverse areas," the MEA said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH