Top US lawmaker pitches for expanding Indo-US cooperation
Washington: Describing India as a fast growing economic power, a top US lawmaker has pitched for expanding bilateral co-operation on a wide range of issues including counter-terrorism.
Congressman Brad Sherman, a senior member of powerful House Foreign Relations Committee, said this during a meeting with the new Indian Ambassador to the US, S Jaishankar at the Capitol Hill on Thursday.
"The Ambassador and I discussed US-India civilian nuclear cooperation, ways to expand economic relations between India and the US, critical security issues in South and Central Asia, and cooperation on counter-terrorism," Sherman said in a statement.
We discussed working with the Indian-American community to achieve "common goals" and pursue "shared interests", he said.
"India is the world`s largest democracy and a fast growing economic power. The US-India relationship is based on the shared values of democracy, individual freedom, religious pluralism, and economic prosperity.
"I will continue to work very closely with the Indian- American community to strengthen the relationship between the two nations," Sherman said.
A Democratic lawmaker from California, Sherman has established friendship with several of India`s ambassadors to the US.
In the few weeks that he has been in Washington as the new Indian Ambassador, Jaishankar has met nearly a number of top lawmakers from both the Republican and the Democratic parties including the Speaker of the US House of Representatives, John Boehner, among others.
In all these meetings, it is understood that Jaishankar briefed lawmakers on the bilateral relations including the political, defence and economic ties.
With all of them, the Ambassador is believed to have taken up India`s concerns on the proposed immigration reform and the need to ensure that the H-1B employers are treated in a fair manner.
Jaishankar is also understood to have put across the Indian point of view on arrest and indictment of Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade in New York last month on charges of visa fraud and misrepresentation of facts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena