Total 19 crashes involving MiG 21 fighter jets in last 5 years`
New Delhi: A total of 19 crashes involving
the MiG 21 fighter aircraft of the IAF have taken place in the
last five years in which seven pilots were killed, the Rajya
Sabha was informed Wednesday.
"Since April 2005, a total of 19 MiG 21 aircraft of the
IAF have crashed. Seven pilots were killed in the crashes,"
Defence Minister A K Antony said in reply to a query.
He said 29 air crashes involving different types of
aircraft have taken place in the last 28 months.
"13 accidents occurred during 2008-09, 14 accidents
during 2009-10 and two accidents have taken place during the
current year up to August 5," he said.
In reply to a query on war injuries, the Minister of
State for Defence M M Pallam Raju said, "23001 officers and
jawans suffered disabilities while performing their duties in
different wars fought by the country."
The list of disabled defence personnel includes 2,515
officers, 1,253 JCOs and 19,233 belonging to other ranks, he
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed