Total 19 crashes involving MiG 21 fighter jets in last 5 years`
New Delhi: A total of 19 crashes involving
the MiG 21 fighter aircraft of the IAF have taken place in the
last five years in which seven pilots were killed, the Rajya
Sabha was informed Wednesday.
"Since April 2005, a total of 19 MiG 21 aircraft of the
IAF have crashed. Seven pilots were killed in the crashes,"
Defence Minister A K Antony said in reply to a query.
He said 29 air crashes involving different types of
aircraft have taken place in the last 28 months.
"13 accidents occurred during 2008-09, 14 accidents
during 2009-10 and two accidents have taken place during the
current year up to August 5," he said.
In reply to a query on war injuries, the Minister of
State for Defence M M Pallam Raju said, "23001 officers and
jawans suffered disabilities while performing their duties in
different wars fought by the country."
The list of disabled defence personnel includes 2,515
officers, 1,253 JCOs and 19,233 belonging to other ranks, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Flirt with the waves a la Lisa Haydon – Watch video