Total 19 crashes involving MiG 21 fighter jets in last 5 years`
New Delhi: A total of 19 crashes involving
the MiG 21 fighter aircraft of the IAF have taken place in the
last five years in which seven pilots were killed, the Rajya
Sabha was informed Wednesday.
"Since April 2005, a total of 19 MiG 21 aircraft of the
IAF have crashed. Seven pilots were killed in the crashes,"
Defence Minister A K Antony said in reply to a query.
He said 29 air crashes involving different types of
aircraft have taken place in the last 28 months.
"13 accidents occurred during 2008-09, 14 accidents
during 2009-10 and two accidents have taken place during the
current year up to August 5," he said.
In reply to a query on war injuries, the Minister of
State for Defence M M Pallam Raju said, "23001 officers and
jawans suffered disabilities while performing their duties in
different wars fought by the country."
The list of disabled defence personnel includes 2,515
officers, 1,253 JCOs and 19,233 belonging to other ranks, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad