Tough BJP challenge for Nehru-Gandhi family: China daily
Beijing: The Nehru-Gandhi family, which has dominated Indian politics for over 50 years, is now facing a severe challenge from the main opposition BJP in the general elections next month, a leading Chinese daily said.
The Indian middle-class is moving away from the scandal-ridden Congress Party and pinning hopes on BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi for his Gujarat- model development agenda, an op-ed piece in the Global Times said.
It said that the Congress started losing its hegemony over Indian politics in the 1990s when the BJP and some regional and caste-based parties began to grow.
The BJP has attacked many times the Nehru-Gandhi family for the country`s defeat in the 1962 Sino-India war and economic misfortune of the country, it said.
The Aam Aadmi Party`s bizarre policies has reulted in it losing stream among the middle-class and business circles, the op-ed piece said.
"The newly formed AAP government banned foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail after winning the Delhi assembly elections. This bizarre policy was a result of populism and contradicts the liberalisation of the economy, which is bound to be opposed by the middle classes and business circles," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Taiwan China Airlines strike leaves 20,000 without flights
- IIMC Results 2016: IIMC entrance exam result 2016 (www.iimc.nic.in) to be declared today on June 24, 2016
- Feeling depressed? Go for a walk!
- Pak, Afghan to set up bilateral mechanism to address border issues
- 'Finding Dory' Box Office collections: Opens well in India, mints Rs 7.68 crore!