Tough BJP challenge for Nehru-Gandhi family: China daily
Beijing: The Nehru-Gandhi family, which has dominated Indian politics for over 50 years, is now facing a severe challenge from the main opposition BJP in the general elections next month, a leading Chinese daily said.
The Indian middle-class is moving away from the scandal-ridden Congress Party and pinning hopes on BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi for his Gujarat- model development agenda, an op-ed piece in the Global Times said.
It said that the Congress started losing its hegemony over Indian politics in the 1990s when the BJP and some regional and caste-based parties began to grow.
The BJP has attacked many times the Nehru-Gandhi family for the country`s defeat in the 1962 Sino-India war and economic misfortune of the country, it said.
The Aam Aadmi Party`s bizarre policies has reulted in it losing stream among the middle-class and business circles, the op-ed piece said.
"The newly formed AAP government banned foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail after winning the Delhi assembly elections. This bizarre policy was a result of populism and contradicts the liberalisation of the economy, which is bound to be opposed by the middle classes and business circles," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Japanese truck driver playing Pokemon Go kills pedestrian
- `No radicalisation` in Australia stabbing death: Police
- How to get MIUI 8 update on Xiaomi smartphone: Check out tutorial
- IT'S DISTURBING: Watch little Syrian girl singing before a bomb explodes
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know