Tough BJP challenge for Nehru-Gandhi family: China daily
Beijing: The Nehru-Gandhi family, which has dominated Indian politics for over 50 years, is now facing a severe challenge from the main opposition BJP in the general elections next month, a leading Chinese daily said.
The Indian middle-class is moving away from the scandal-ridden Congress Party and pinning hopes on BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi for his Gujarat- model development agenda, an op-ed piece in the Global Times said.
It said that the Congress started losing its hegemony over Indian politics in the 1990s when the BJP and some regional and caste-based parties began to grow.
The BJP has attacked many times the Nehru-Gandhi family for the country`s defeat in the 1962 Sino-India war and economic misfortune of the country, it said.
The Aam Aadmi Party`s bizarre policies has reulted in it losing stream among the middle-class and business circles, the op-ed piece said.
"The newly formed AAP government banned foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail after winning the Delhi assembly elections. This bizarre policy was a result of populism and contradicts the liberalisation of the economy, which is bound to be opposed by the middle classes and business circles," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Air ambulance with seven people crash lands in Delhi's Najafgarh
- Nehru, Gandhi family responsible for rising rapes in India, says Rajasthan BJP MLA Gyandev Ahuja
- Shocking video: Old woman mercilessly beaten up by her daughter in Delhi
- Chris Gayle: Melbourne Renegades refuse to renew his contract for BBL 6
- Tips to pick up the right pair of shoes for the right occasion