Touts make hay as trains run full ahead of festive season
New Delhi: With joyous rush that festivities usher, comes an even greater rush—the rush to secure berths in trains. As festivals approach, those living, working or studying away from their families try to get home to celebrate festivities together— but every year this leads to a monumental choke in trains—a question to which the railways seem to have no answer season after season.
The problem of shortage of berths on long-distance trains is compounded by touts who fleece those passengers willing to pay a premium for a confirmed ticket.
Upon investigating at major railways terminals across the country, Zeenews found that the situation was grim everywhere.
Endless queues of ticket hopefuls lined outside reservation counters at all these stations and most passengers stated that not even waitlist tickets were available on major routes. Touts preyed on gullible passengers and offered tickets at exorbitant rates—which at times rose to five to six times the price printed on the ticket.
At a reservation counter in Mumbai, a harried passenger told Zeenews that booking clerks said that not a single berth was available on trains towards Madhya Pradesh, but the passenger was approached by a tout who claimed that a confirmed berth would cost him Rs 1,500 (the price of which is Rs 480.)
A tout was caught on camera claiming that he could `manage` confirmed tickets for Mumbai-Delhi Rajdhani, between Rs 2,500-3,000—a price twice the normal rate.
And despite all this, railway authorities continued looking the other way claiming massive `anti-tout` drives were on to check black-marketers.
At Delhi, the story was no different. As UP and Bihar-bound trains were booked beyond the capacity, even wait-list tickets were a rarity here.
Troubled passenger lamented that a "no reservation" board was pasted on booking windows and clerks claimed that even the waitlist were sold-out.
Others who spoke to Zeenews narrated that while they spent long hours in winding lines for a ticket, touts approached them with confirmed tickets, but at four times the price.
At Bhopal junction—a station that boasts of anti-tout measures—the situation was grimmer.
Passengers spoke to the reporter claiming how `not a single ticket` was available on any train.
Kamal Kishore Dubey, PRO, Western Central Railway, said, “Biometric profiling is done at the reservation counter to check multiple bookings by a single person.”
But long lines before reservation counters and cyber cafes that book tickets were testament to the fact that the railways wasn’t prepared to handle the festive rush of passengers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India