TR Baalu represents DMK at UPA anniversary celebrations
New Delhi: Smarting under the electoral
debacle and arrest of party MP Kanimozhi, DMK on Sunday made a
token presence at the second anniversary celebrations of
UPA-II where none of its six union ministers was present.
The DMK, the third largest constituent in the UPA coalition
with 18 MPs in the Lok Sabha, was represented only by its
Parliamentary Party Leader TR Baalu at the function held at
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence here.
Baalu was seen sitting next to Congress chief Sonia Gandhi
on the dais.
He came to Delhi from Chennai in the evening after a
high-level DMK meeting presided by party chief M Karunanidhi,
who decided to send him as the party representative at the
Six DMK ministers, including two in the cabinet rank -
Dayanidhi Maran and MK Alagiri - did not attend the dinner,
which saw the participation of leaders of other allies.
Sources said the decision to have a low-key representation
was taken as the DMK is not in a celebratory mood with
Kanimozhi in jail on bribery charges.
Earlier, in Chennai when asked about the DMK-Congress
ties, Karunanidhi said, "It is not like what you think."
Upset over her arrest, Karunanidhi had on Friday said he
was in a position like that of any father whose daughter faced
a similar situation for no fault of hers.
In his letter to party cadres last night, Karunanidhi
sought to blame the Congress for DMK`s debacle in the recent
Assembly elections in Tamil Nadu.
"This is a time when the DMK has suffered a huge defeat by
losing power in the state. What are the reasons for the
defeat? Whether it was the seats alloted to parties aligned
with us or the constituencies forcibly taken from us or the
the unprecedented restrictions imposed by the Election
"I don`t want to go into these reasons now," he had said
in the letter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'