Trade unions call for nationwide strike on Sept 7
New Delhi: Protesting against price rise and the decision to privatise profit making public sector undertakings (PSUs), trade unions affiliated to major political parties, including the ruling Congress, Thursday called for a nationwide strike on Sept 7.
"It will be like a nationwide shutdown Sept 7. The workers in the country are anguished over certain policies of the central government," said R. Chandrasekharan, national secretary of the trade union arm of the Congress party, Indian National Trade Union Congress (INTUC).
Chandrasekharan said the decision was taken at a coordination committee meeting of all the major trade unions, including the Bharatiya Mazdoor Singh (BMS), Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU), the All India Trade Union Congress (AITUC) and the Hind Mazdoor Sabha (HMS) here.
The meeting was chaired by INTUC national president G Sanjeeva Reddy.
He said it was the first time in the history of independent India that INTUC had joined the trade unions affiliated to other political parties to give a call for an all India strike.
"Our major demands include proper implementation of labour laws, immediately stop the privatisation of profit making PSUs, provide enough money for unorganised workers` social security fund and provide jobs for the people who lost employment during the global economic meltdown," Chandrasekharan said.
He said the trade unions took this extreme step as there was no effort from the government to reduce the burden on the workers and their families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’