TRAI releases consultation paper on TV viewership rating
New Delhi: In a step towards creating an accreditation mechanism for recognising television viewership rating agencies, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) on Wednesday released a consultation paper on the issue.
In a statement released here, TRAI said the Information and Broadcasting ministry had sought its recommendations for laying down comprehensive guidelines/accreditation mechanism for TRP (Television Rating Points) rating agencies in India in order to ensure transparency and accountability in the rating system.
"Presently, television rating in India is being done by only one agency. Issues related to credibility and transparency of the ratings services in India has been raised by certain stakeholders", the statement said.
It said lack of credible TRP system will hamper the growth of TV industry as a number of decisions having financial implications and also bearing on the type of content being watched are influenced by TRP ratings supplied by rating agencies.
"So, there is a need to establish suitable mechanism/
guidelines for the rating agencies, which ensures that the data generated by the rating agencies is representative, credible and transparent," TRAI said.
In the consultation paper, TRAI has discussed issues ranging from establishing an accreditation mechanism for the rating agency, methodology of audience measurement, sample size, secrecy, cross-holding between rating agencies and their users as well as complaint redressal.
The regulatory body has also discussed issued pertaining to sale and use of ratings, disclosure and reporting requirement, audit and competition in rating services.
TRAI has sought written comments on the consultation paper from the stakeholders by 9th May, 2013 and counter comments by 16th May 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers