Train derails in Madhya Padesh, 42 hurt
Vidisha: Forty-two passengers were injured, three seriously, when the Mumbai-Pratapgarh Udyognagri Express derailed near here early on Monday, disrupting rail traffic for over 14 hours.
The Pratapgarh-bound train derailed around 6.20 am near
Sourai, six kms from here, District Collector (Vidisha) CB
Singh told a news agency.
While three bogies of the train overturned, four
others jumped the rails disrupting traffic on both up and down
lines between Bhopal and New Delhi, he said.
Movement of trains on the affected line could not be
resumed even 14 hours after the derailment, he said, adding,
trains were allowed to pass using a parallel line.
Some of the derailed bogies slid down the tracks as the
accident site was at a height, railway officials said.
The seriously injured persons were referred to Bhopal`s
Hamidia Hospital while the remaining were admitted in the
Vidisha District Hospital, the Collector said.
All three grievously injured are women - Kamla
Ramchandran, Sushma Devi and Nirmala Verma.
Meanwhile, an inquiry has been ordered into the mishap
and the Railways announced an ex-gratia of Rs 1,00,000 to the
grievously injured passengers and Rs 25,000 to those with
"PK Vajapyee, Commissioner Railway Safety, Lucknow
Division, will conduct the inquiry and submit the report at
the earliest," a Railway Ministry spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations