Train engines to have toilet facility for the first time
New Delhi: For the first time, train drivers will have toilet facility in the engine cabin itself.
"It is a basic need and we have tried to provide toilet facility for loco pilots in the locomotives itself," Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said today after inspecting the first diesel engine fitted with a toilet and wash basin at the New Delhi station.
Till now, locomotives did not have toilet facility leaving the driver to use toilets at stations depending upon the halt time. Drivers have been demanding such facility in the engines for a long time.
In a retro-fitting exercise, the Railways have provided a toilet and wash basin in a 3300 HP diesel engine as part of a pilot project. The retro-fitting of toilet has been done at the Charbagh workshop in Lucknow.
"Toilet has been provided on a trial basis and we are planning to replicate the exercise in other locomotives used in the long distance travel," Bansal said.
Such toilet facility is expected to benefit drivers in trains like Rajdhani which have less stoppages.
The Railway Minister also visited the control room and waiting halls at the station and gave instructions to the staff concerned for maintaining cleanliness and hygienic conditions in rail premises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Huge controversy breaks out as Mangaluru college bans hijab, beard; protests on
- The journey has just begun! Sachin Tendulkar lauds Rio winners, predicts greater acheivements
- Turkish warplanes, artillery hit targets in north Syria: Sources
- Luxury car makers Mercedes, Audi, JLR rush to bring in petrol variants
- Special education programme for disabled in Delhi govt schools