Train engines to have toilet facility for the first time
New Delhi: For the first time, train drivers will have toilet facility in the engine cabin itself.
"It is a basic need and we have tried to provide toilet facility for loco pilots in the locomotives itself," Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said today after inspecting the first diesel engine fitted with a toilet and wash basin at the New Delhi station.
Till now, locomotives did not have toilet facility leaving the driver to use toilets at stations depending upon the halt time. Drivers have been demanding such facility in the engines for a long time.
In a retro-fitting exercise, the Railways have provided a toilet and wash basin in a 3300 HP diesel engine as part of a pilot project. The retro-fitting of toilet has been done at the Charbagh workshop in Lucknow.
"Toilet has been provided on a trial basis and we are planning to replicate the exercise in other locomotives used in the long distance travel," Bansal said.
Such toilet facility is expected to benefit drivers in trains like Rajdhani which have less stoppages.
The Railway Minister also visited the control room and waiting halls at the station and gave instructions to the staff concerned for maintaining cleanliness and hygienic conditions in rail premises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say