Train engines to have toilet facility for the first time
New Delhi: For the first time, train drivers will have toilet facility in the engine cabin itself.
"It is a basic need and we have tried to provide toilet facility for loco pilots in the locomotives itself," Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said today after inspecting the first diesel engine fitted with a toilet and wash basin at the New Delhi station.
Till now, locomotives did not have toilet facility leaving the driver to use toilets at stations depending upon the halt time. Drivers have been demanding such facility in the engines for a long time.
In a retro-fitting exercise, the Railways have provided a toilet and wash basin in a 3300 HP diesel engine as part of a pilot project. The retro-fitting of toilet has been done at the Charbagh workshop in Lucknow.
"Toilet has been provided on a trial basis and we are planning to replicate the exercise in other locomotives used in the long distance travel," Bansal said.
Such toilet facility is expected to benefit drivers in trains like Rajdhani which have less stoppages.
The Railway Minister also visited the control room and waiting halls at the station and gave instructions to the staff concerned for maintaining cleanliness and hygienic conditions in rail premises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried