Train mishap: Buddha, PC have agreed on no CBI probe, says Yechury
New Delhi: West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee and Home Minister P Chidambaram have agreed on not involving the CBI in the Gyaneshwari Express train accident as the state police have almost cracked the case, CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury said Tuesday.
Yechury told reporters here that Bhattarcharjee had conveyed to Chidambaram that there was no need for a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) till the police investigation is over and report filed.
"The Home Minister held a discussion (on the train accident) with the West Bengal Chief Minister. Buddhadeb told him the state police have almost cracked the case and if the case is handed over to the CBI, it will delay the investigation. Both of them agreed to wait till the report comes," the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader said.
Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee, who is chief of the state`s opposition Trinamool Congress, has been demanding a CBI inquiry into the accident, which she blames on her political rivals.
However, the Home Minister Monday contradicted his Cabinet colleague saying the needle of suspicion was pointing towards the Maoist guerrillas who are suspected to have removed a piece of the railway track to cause the derailment of the Mumbai-bound train Friday.
Around 150 people were killed after a goods train coming from the opposite direction smashed through some of the derailed coaches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read