Train services disrupted after Maoists create landmine hoax
Jhargram (WB): Train services in the Kharagpur-Tatanagar route of South-Eastern Railway were disrupted on Saturday after a landmine hoax created panic in West Midnapore district.
A pilot train along with a team of joint security forces rushed to the spot near Jhargram railway station after a driver of the Howrah-bound Sambalpur Express noticed some banners and a tiffin-box with wires spread out lying on the railway tracks in the wee hours today, police said.
Inspection by the bomb-disposal squad later revealed absence of any explosives, they added.
Police said that this was a ploy by the Maoists to create panic, as a result of which several local trains in the route were cancelled while long-distance trains got delayed.
The Maoists has called for a 24-hour bandh today in five states - West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand, Orissa and Chhatisgarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon