Translate popular, award-winning literature: President
New Delhi: Calling upon literary institutions
to ensure translation of both popular and award-winning
literature in various Indian languages, President Pratibha
Patil today said that this would ensure their reach in all
parts of the country.
On the occasion of honouring Hindi poet Kunwar Narain
with the 41st Jnanpith Award for the year 2005, Patil said,
"Honoured literary works should be translated in other Indian
languages so that they reach everybody. Though translation of
literature is not easy, I know that Bhartiya Jnanpith will
fulfill these duties."
Underlining that importance of literature in building
prosperous nations, she said, "while cheap literature plunges
nations into the depths of immorality, good literature plays a
major role in nation building, it gives hope to humanity. How
can an ideal society be formed if there is no literature."
"Literature which is in the common man`s language,
inspires an entire nation to tread the path of righteousness.
That is why the sayings of Kabir, Soordas and the Ramayana are
popular even today," Patil said.
Highlighting the achievements of Kunwar Narain, Patil
said that the poet not only writes poetry, but has also
contributed through his writings on cinema, music, art and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes