Treat Tibet as `core issue` in talks with China: Sangay
New Delhi: Resolution of the Tibet issue through "genuine" autonomy could act as a catalyst for modernisation of China, Prime Minister of Tibetan Government- in-Exile Lobsang Sangay said on Thursday, asking countries to speak up openly in favour of the cause.
Addressing a seminar on `Tibet: Current situation and its implications for China and India` here, he said India should treat Tibet as a "core issue" during its talks with China so that its security and environmental issues are taken care of.
He also slammed the apathy of countries in not recognising the "peaceful struggle" by Tibetans for "genuine autonomy" from Chinese regime, saying they need to understand that there is a "disconnect between reality and rhetoric".
In this regard, he criticised western countries` stand on Syria saying they support an "armed revolution" but not a "peaceful struggle".
"We have made our stand very clear. We want genuine autonomy. Granting that autonomy would act as a catalyst for modernisation of China. We have been maturely and peacefully protesting. It would act as catalyst for modernisation and liberalisation of China," he said.
Sangay made it clear that Tibetans in no way plan or intend to challenge China`s territorial integrity over Tibet, but would need "genuine autonomy" and restoration of their "self-respect".
"As a guest, we would just like to request India to treat Tibet as a `core issue` during its talks with China so that its security and environmental issues are taken care of," he said.
Former Foreign Secretary Lalit Mansingh, who was also present, emphasised the need for India to make Tibet its core issue during talks with China and said the "China-Pakistan nexus" is always a cause of concern for India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days