Treat women with respect: President Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee Monday stressed the need to bring about a change of mindset in the society so that women are treated with dignity and respect.
Inaugurating the 44th conference of governors at Rashtrapati Bhavan here, Mukherjee said the meeting was taking place in the shadow of the unfortunate incident of the brutal rape and death of a young woman in Delhi, which had shaken the collective conscience of the nation.
The gang-rape victim died in a Singapore hospital Dec 29 last year.
According to a Rashtrapati Bhavan press release, the president told the conference that the government had taken prompt action on the recommendations made by Justice Verma Committee to enhance law provisions relating to safety of women.
"He urged governors to work towards improving the security and welfare of women. He said there was a pressing need to bring about a change in the mindset of the society so that women are treated with dignity and respect," the release said.
The president said there had been improvement in the country`s internal security last year but added that there was need of constant vigil.
He said the government`s commitment to strengthening counter-terrorism eforts must remain strong and that programmes in bordering areas to improve infrastructure need to be expedited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing