Treat women with respect: President Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee Monday stressed the need to bring about a change of mindset in the society so that women are treated with dignity and respect.
Inaugurating the 44th conference of governors at Rashtrapati Bhavan here, Mukherjee said the meeting was taking place in the shadow of the unfortunate incident of the brutal rape and death of a young woman in Delhi, which had shaken the collective conscience of the nation.
The gang-rape victim died in a Singapore hospital Dec 29 last year.
According to a Rashtrapati Bhavan press release, the president told the conference that the government had taken prompt action on the recommendations made by Justice Verma Committee to enhance law provisions relating to safety of women.
"He urged governors to work towards improving the security and welfare of women. He said there was a pressing need to bring about a change in the mindset of the society so that women are treated with dignity and respect," the release said.
The president said there had been improvement in the country`s internal security last year but added that there was need of constant vigil.
He said the government`s commitment to strengthening counter-terrorism eforts must remain strong and that programmes in bordering areas to improve infrastructure need to be expedited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'El Chapo' appeals extradition to US
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1