Treatment meted out to Indian diplomat by US ` despicable, barbaric`: NSA
New Delhi: Reflecting anger in the government, National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon on Tuesday termed as "despicable" and "barbaric" the treatment meted out to India`s Deputy Consul General Devyani Khobragade in New York.
"It is despicable and barbaric," Menon said here while commenting on the arrest of Khobragade in New York on charges of violating visa rules.
The strong comments by the NSA came as Indian leaders, including Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi and Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, refused to meet a US Congressional delegation as a mark of protest over the treatment meted out to 39-year-old Khobragade.
Menon himself did not meet the delegation yesterday.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar had also cancelled her meeting with the delegation yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa