Tremor jolts Jammu and Kashmir, no damage reported
Srinagar: A slight-intensity tremor rocked Jammu and Kashmir Saturday morning, but no loss of life or property has been reported so far.
A Met department official said a tremor measuring 3.8 on the Richter scale was felt at 3.51 am.
"The epicentre of the earthquake was in the Jammu and Kashmir region with coordinates 34.2 north (latitude) and 77.9 east (longitude). No loss of life or property has been reported from anywhere so far," the official said.
Seismologically, Jammu and Kashmir is situated in an earthquake-vulnerable region where temblors have wreaked havoc in the past.
In October 2005, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake killed over 40,000 people in Indian and Pakistani administered parts of Jammu and Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- Bomb disposal squad deployed in central England after arrests
- US Open 2016: Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal drawn for potential semi-final clash
- Long traffic jams may increase risk of cancer!
- Fighters and residents leave besieged Damascus suburb Daraya
- Australian scribe hints weapon data present in leaked Scorpene documents