Tribal girls plight: NHRC issues notice to Jharkhand
New Delhi: National Human Rights Commission on Monday issued notices to Jharkhand and Delhi police after taking cognisance of media reports about the plight of tribal girls in cities, especially in the national capital.
The rights panel have sought reports in this connection from the DGP, Jharkhand and the Delhi Police Commissioner within four weeks.
NHRC took suo motu cognisance of media reports that hundreds of tribal girls, lured to the Metros and, in particular, Delhi on the pretext of providing employment, lead a miserable life as domestic helps.
According to media reports, two tribal girls, who migrated from Jharkhand`s Khunti district to work as domestic help were found dead within two days in mysterious circumstances in Delhi. The reports allege that several tribal girls are missing, a NHRC statement said.
The Commission observed that the contents of the press reports, if true, are serious violation of human rights of children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?