Tributes to Indira Gandhi on birth anniversary
New Delhi: The nation on Saturday remembered
former prime minister Indira Gandhi on her 94th birth
anniversary with President Pratibha Patil and Vice President
Hamid Ansari among prominent personalities who paid rich
tributes to the leader.
The leaders offered floral tributes at her memorial
Shakti Sthal on the banks of Yamuna.
Besides Patil and Ansari, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi,
Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi, Union ministers
Ghulam Nabi Azad, Kamal Nath, Sushil Kumar Shinde and Krishna
Tirath and Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh
Ahluwalia were among those who visited the memorial.
Gandhi, born on November 19, 1917 in the politically
influential Nehru family, was the first woman prime minister
of India. Her father Jawaharlal Nehru was a pivotal figure in
the Indian independence movement and the first prime minister
of independent India.
After Nehru`s death in 1964, she became a Rajya Sabha
member and was inducted in Lal Bahadur Shastri`s cabinet as
minister of information and broadcasting.
She held three consecutive terms as prime minister from
1966 to 1977. The Congress leader was assassinated on October
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress