Trinamool Congress sees SC verdict as indictment of govt
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress, a key ally of
the ruling UPA, also saw the Supreme Court verdict quashing the appointment of P J Thomas as the Central Vigilance Commissioner as an "indictment" of the government.
"The Supreme Court (verdict) is sort of an indictment. We
have to be careful in the future," Sultan Ahmed, Union
Minister of State for Tourism, told reporters here.
He said the government was grappling with the problem
because of its dependence on the bureaucracy.
"We welcome the Supreme Court verdict. If a mistake has
been committed it has to be corrected," Ahmed said adding that
the apex Court has shown a path for the future.
"To fight corruption is not the job of the government
alone, we have to fight it together. Corruption has become a
menace," the minister said.
Opposition parties have slammed the government after the
apex Court quashed the appointment of the CVC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender