Trinamool MPs create uproar in Parliament
New Delhi: Trinamool members on Friday created uproar in Parliament against Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde`s meeting with Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) leaders without informing West Bengal government, forcing brief adjournments of both Houses.
As soon as Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha met for the day, Trinamool members raised the issue vociferously displaying placards that read "Don`t Divide Darjeeling" and "Centre don`t do politics in Darjeeling".
In Lok Sabha, Trinamool member Sudip Bandopadhyaya raised the issue and alleged that a "deliberate, motivated" attempt was on to divide West Bengal.
"We apprehend that the Central government is also trying (along with Gorkha Janmukti Morcha) to play a role," he said.
He said it is unfortunate that Shinde was holding talks with GJM leaders when West Bengal Chief Minister was meeting people in Kalimpong along with senior officials.
Bandopadhyaya sought to know how the Home Minister was holding the meeting when the Prime Minister had said no step will be taken without consulting West Bengal government.
Charging the Centre with continuously interfering in the affairs of the state, Bandopadhyaya said this is hurting the federal structure.
Rubbishing demands of GJM for a separate state, he said wondered as to how such a small area with just three Assembly seats can become a state carved out of West Bengal which has 294 Assembly seats.
"Jaswant Singh`s Lok Sabha constituency - Darjeeling - has three Assembly seats from the hills and four from the plains," he said.
Earlier, when the House met for the day TC members trooped into the Well holding placards and shouting slogans against Shinde. The placards said "Centre don`t do politics in Darjeeling".
This led to brief adjournment of the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan