Trinamool to launch countrywide protest against FDI
New Delhi: The Trinamool Congress, which is to formally withdraw from the UPA on Friday, announced it will launch countrywide protests against the government`s economic policies, especially FDI in multi-brand retail.
Announcing this here Friday, Trinamool leader Mukul Roy said: "We will launch a protest all over the country to protest the FDI. The manner in which they (government) have introduced FDI is absolutely unethical."
Roy said: "On Dec 7, 2011, the leader of the house made a statement on the floor of parliament that FDI will be introduced through consensus… we have not understood why the UPA government is in such a hurry to introduce it."
The six ministers of Trinamool would hand over their resignations to the Prime Minister`s Office and then meet President Pranab Mukherjee to announce withdrawal of support to the UPA.
Roy said: "We will go to the PMO at 3 pm and hand over our resignation letters, and then go to meet the president at 4.30 pm."
Roy, who holds the railways ministry portfolio, said the countrywide protest would also be against the hike in diesel price, capping subsidised cooking gas cylinders as well the rise in fertiliser prices.
The six Trinamool ministers arrived in the capital to hand over the resignation letters, three days after the party dramatically announced it was quitting the UPA government over its economic policies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened