Troop movement report exaggerated: Defence Secy
New Delhi: Defence Secretary Shashi Kant Sharma on Monday said the controversial report published by The Indian Express group recently about the unathourised movement of two Army units was wrong and highly exaggerated.
According to a TV news channel, which quoted a source, Sharma, while deposing before the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence to clarify over the issue, said it was a regular exercise conducted by the Indian Army.
Sharma further told the Parliamentary panel that the Army does not need a prior permission from the Ministry of Defence (MoD) to carry out such exercises.
He also categorically rejected report suggesting a possible coup attempt by the Indian Army and maintained that the civil-military ties were as strong as ever.
Sharma was summoned by the Parliamentary panel to clarify in the aftermath of an Indian Express report claiming that the Army had moved its two units towards Delhi on January 16 without notifying the government.
Sharma was also quizzed by the panel regarding the shocking disclosures made by Chief of the Armed Staff Gen VK Singh about serious gaps in the country’s defence preparedness.
It has been learnt that Army Chief Gen VK Singh may also be called for questioning by the panel.
General Singh had recently triggered a controversy when the contents of his confidential letter addressed to the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) about the state of Army and the hollowness in country’s war preparedness was leaked to the media.
Meanwhile, the MoD is also likely to give a detailed response on the report in `The Indian Express` that alleged unauthorised troop movement had taken place on the January 16 this year.
This was the second meet of the Standing Committee on the controversies surrounding the Army. In the first meeting, questions were raised on the report in `The Indian Express`.
General Singh had termed the media report as “baseless and defaming”.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata