Troops may have extra-marital affair if denied leave: Army study
New Delhi: Denial of leave to Army personnel including officers and soldiers may tempt them to have extra-marital affairs and in extreme cases, they may also resort to misbehaviour and flirting, an Army study has said.
In its study `roadmap to promote dignity of women and care for girl child in Army`, the Jodhpur-based 12 `Konark` Corps has recommended that "grant of leave at regular intervals coupled with adequate training and self-discipline" can help in managing the "negative vibes" in them.
"Many peculiarities of military life are to remain separated from wife... Delays in going home or denial of leave may tempt a soldier to get into extra marital affair. An extreme case may also be flirting or misbehaving," the study said.
The study, which primarily focuses on empowerment of women and girl child, has recommended that "exemplary punishments" should be given to those who in any way are adversely affecting women related to the forces.
"The Commanding Officers of the units should ensure that any incident occurring and affecting women or girl child should be reported and action should be taken against offenders and no leniency should be shown towards such people," it said.
The 12 Corps headed by Lt Gen MMS Rai had commissioned the study in March this year under the Ahmedabad-based 11 Infantry Division and all the units of the formation have been asked to follow the recommendations.
The study identifies several types of violence that women may face at work place or at home including sexual violence, girl child labour and dowry-related violence.
Having extra marital affairs in the armed forces is considered a punishable offence. In the recent past, Defence Minister AK Antony had dismissed a navy officer who allegedly had an affair with his fellow officer`s wife.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list