Troops who lay down life are martyrs, no order needed: RPN Singh
New Delhi: Martyr or `shaheed` is not a special category and there is no requirement of a separate notification in this regard, Minister of State for Home Affairs RPN Singh said on Thursday.
"There is no special category called as martyrs. Anyone who gives up life for uplift and safety of this country is a martyr and we salute our martyrs," Singh said.
Paramilitary and central police forces have made a number of representations to the Home Ministry and state governments, saying this honour for the troops who render a variety of security duties will not only act as a morale booster but will also enhance their self-respect.
The minister`s reply came to a question posed during the raising day function of Indo-Tibetan Border Police here. "No order or notification is needed in this regard," he said.
"There is no kind of special thing as martyrs. Even in the Army there is no special thing. Anyone who gives up his life saving thousands of people, like the ITBP did in Uttarakhand, they are martyrs...Do you think they are not martyrs?" Singh said.
However, the Minister, in April this year had said that the Home Ministry has written to the states regarding the matter.
The Minister sought to clarify the official position of his ministry in this regard today stating that "martyr" or `shaheed` is not a special category.
Singh also said that there was "no requirement of a separate notification" in this regard by the ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in