Troops who lay down life are martyrs, no order needed: RPN Singh
New Delhi: Martyr or `shaheed` is not a special category and there is no requirement of a separate notification in this regard, Minister of State for Home Affairs RPN Singh said on Thursday.
"There is no special category called as martyrs. Anyone who gives up life for uplift and safety of this country is a martyr and we salute our martyrs," Singh said.
Paramilitary and central police forces have made a number of representations to the Home Ministry and state governments, saying this honour for the troops who render a variety of security duties will not only act as a morale booster but will also enhance their self-respect.
The minister`s reply came to a question posed during the raising day function of Indo-Tibetan Border Police here. "No order or notification is needed in this regard," he said.
"There is no kind of special thing as martyrs. Even in the Army there is no special thing. Anyone who gives up his life saving thousands of people, like the ITBP did in Uttarakhand, they are martyrs...Do you think they are not martyrs?" Singh said.
However, the Minister, in April this year had said that the Home Ministry has written to the states regarding the matter.
The Minister sought to clarify the official position of his ministry in this regard today stating that "martyr" or `shaheed` is not a special category.
Singh also said that there was "no requirement of a separate notification" in this regard by the ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble