TRS chief threatens fast-unto-death over Telangana issue
Hyderabad: Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS)
president K Chandrasekhar Rao today threatened to launch a
fast-unto-death if separate Telangana statehood demand is not
conceded by next month.
"I am demanding, declare Telangana in November.
Otherwise, I am going to sit on a fast-unto-death. This is a
warning. The consequences will have to be borne by the
government of India and government of Andhra Pradesh," he told
Rao was speaking after being detained during a `jail
bharo` agitation organised by TRS demanding that the
government make a constitutional amendment to protect the
interests of Telangana in the wake of Supreme Court verdict
declaring Hyderabad as a `free zone` for police recruitment.
The police department has been divided into various zones
for the purpose of recruitment. `Free zone` means people from
all parts of the state can be recruited in Hyderabad. The TRS
contends that declaring Hyderabad as a `free zone` would
adversely affect job opportunities of Telangana youth.
The TRS chief said his sub-regional party, spearheading a
movement for a separate state with Hyderabad as its capital,
would step up the stir if constitutional amendment is not made
to protect the interests of Telangana in wake of the apex
Earlier, the TRS held a protest at Indira Park in the
heart of the city as part of `jail bharo` stir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray