TRS-Congress alliance talks gather steam as KCR meets Rahul Gandhi
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: Days after Parliament cleared the formation of a separate Telangana state, the party that fought for the cause has begun intense negotiations with the Congress for an alliance ahead of the upcoming Lok Sabha polls.
Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) chief K Chandrasekhar Rao today met Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi as per reports, but no details of the meeting were available as yet. Today`s meeting followed KCR`s talks with Congress president Sonia Gandhi and party general secretary Digvijay Singh.
While the TRS is not seeking an immediate merger with the Congress – which was expected to happen post the Centre`s push on Telangana – the party has indicated that it is open to the idea of giving the national party a major share of 17 Lok Sabha seats in the new state if the latter backs its leader KCR for chief minister`s post.
The indications to this effect have been given by KCR himself.
The proposed deal may benefit Congress after all, but it will go against the scheme of things of the national party.
The deal will help the Congress wrest a lion`s share of 17 LS seats in Telangana and support it nationally, but may undermine its original plan to become a dominant force in the new state.
Experts have based the Congress` renewed push on Telangana on the realisation that the popularity of YSR Congress led by Jagan Reddy has exceeded that of the Congress and that the national party`s fortunes lie only in Telangana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest