TRS says no to talks of merger with Congress
New Delhi: The possibility of TRS merging with Congress seemed to have hit a roadblock on Wednesday with the regional party of Andhra Pradesh saying there was no such move but said it was open to an alliance.
On the other hand, Congress claimed TRS chief K Chandrashekhar Rao has expressed readiness to merge but TRS has, in turn, said no such assurance has been given.
"As far as merger of TRS with Congress is concerned, we are very happy that KCR has met Congress President (Sonia Gandhi) and party Vice President Rahul Gandhi and he has indicated merger of TRS with Congress party," AICC in-charge of Andhra Pradesh Digvijay Singh told reporters here.
"The details will be worked out," he added.
However, a top leader of TRS had a different take on it.
"Our leadership has never indicated that TRS will merge with Congress. We had met the Prime Minister (Manmohan Singh), the Congress President and the Vice President to thank them for their efforts for passage of Telangana Bill," said the TRS leader on condition of anonymity.
Nothing beyond that transpired in the meetings, he added.
"A merger is unlikely between the two parties since 90 per cent of TRS leaders are against it," the TRS leader claimed.
He said that instead of merger, an alliance between TRS and Congress is a possibility, which may take shape only after the Election Code of Conduct comes into force.
According to him, a majority among the TRS top leadership was against merger, though they were in favour of an alliance for coming elections.
the other hand, a section of Telangana Congress leaders are believed to be not in favour of the merger, with a senior leader claiming the "rank and file" of Telangana Congress was averse to any such merger move.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review