TRS wins six seats in AP by-polls
Hyderabad: The Telangana agitation being
spearheaded by TRS on Friday received a boost with the party
retaining six of the 12 Assembly constituencies in Telangana
region where by-elections were held recently and appeared to
be heading for victory in five other segments.
It was a one-sided contest as the counting of votes
began this morning and TRS candidates registered impressive
victories in Siddipet, Dharmapuri, Vemulawada, Chennur,
Mancherial and Sirpur constituencies.
The ruling Congress suffered a major setback as its
state president D Srinivas lost from Nizamabad Urban and party
nominees from other seats were also defeated by huge margins.
Srinivas, who lost the 2009 Assembly election too from
Nizamabad, was defeated by his BJP rival Y Lakshmi Narayana by
a margin of about 12,000 votes.
TRS candidate in Siddipet T Harish Rao, nephew of
party president K Chandrasekhar Rao, won with a huge margin of
over 95,000 votes.
Ballot papers were used in five of the twelve
constituencies, and therefore it is expected that the results
will take time to come.
As per the initial trends, TRS candidates are leading
in all the five seats - Warangal West, Yellareddy, Huzurabad,
Sircilla and Koratla.
The results of these constituencies were expected to
be out only in the evening or even later.
"This is a victory of Telangana sentiment. We dedicate
this victory to all those who sacrificed their life for the
sake of separate Telangana. This should be a message to the
Centre. They should immediately form separate Telangana
state," Harish Rao said.
Accepting the defeat, Srinivas said that people voted
in favour of those who quit in support of the separate
Chief Minister K Rosaiah said in a brief statement
that his party would respect the verdict of the people.
TDP senior leader T Devender Goud said the TRS`
thumping victory in the by-elections was widely expected.
"The by-polls were held in a highly emotional
atmosphere. We could not focus on the by-election campaigning
as we were busy fighting the Babli issue. This has certainly
left an impact on our performance," Goud said.
The bypolls in the 12 seats were necessitated as the
sitting MLAs had quit their posts in support of separate
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video