Trust important between democratic institutions: Kapil Sibal
Chandigarh: Union Law Minister Kapil Sibal on Wednesday indicated that there was a sense of mistrust prevailing amongst the institutions of our democracy.
"No system can work without trust, not even a family. If within a family, there is no trust, that family will actually not be prosperous. What applies to a family applies to an institution and it also applies to the nation."
"If one institution doesn`t trust another, then a nation can never go forward," Sibal said at the inauguration of the new Bar Complex Extension-I at Bar Complex of Punjab and Haryana High Court here this evening.
Chief Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda and senior and former judges of the high court were among those present on the occasion.
Speaking on the occasion, Sibal, himself a noted lawyer, lamented that the legal fraternity had "actually opted out of the role of leadership in this country".
"I do not see the stalwarts of the bar anymore, neither in Supreme Court or in the High Courts. I do not see those leaders of vision who can lead this country forward into the 21st century," he said.
Reacting to the demand by the High Court Bar`s president, AR Sidhu, that they need better infrastructure, Sibal said, "When I talk of the legal profession, unfortunately, I don`t think of the infrastructure, I think of the quality of the justice delivery system, the quality of the members of the bar, the quality of the judiciary."
He said that the administrative structures were also in a "shambles" in this country as "no member of the bureaucracy was willing to take a decision".
Talking about the media, Sibal said it was a very powerful tool although, in India it had not started telling great stories about the country.
Referring to the Opposition, Sibal said, without naming anybody, that, "If you look at Parliament for instance, we are not allowing legislation to move forward... We do not allow it to function."
Sibal, who is the Union HRD Minister, rued how in India today, many private institutions were such which gave degrees for the asking. A separate National Accreditation Authority is needed to prevent the operation of such institutions, he said.
Sibal, also the Minister for Communications and Information Technology, said that in India, 80 percent of the components of mobile phones were currently being imported.
"The chip comes from outside, the components come from outside," he said.
"We are trying to start a hardware manufacturing system in this country because this country cannot afford to live on software alone," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe