Twelve years on, no ACD in most trains
New Delhi: Twelve years ago, Konkan Railway
had developed anti-collision devices (ACD) for prevention of
train accidents but till date the devices are yet to be
installed in all trains.
ACDs were installed in January 2001 in a section of
Northeast Frontier Railway after successful trials.
Even though there have many major accidents since then,
the railways are yet to install ACDs in all trains.
The train accident in Tamil Nadu last night could have
been prevented had there been ACD installed in those trains,
said a senior Konkan Railway official.
ACD is designed to prevent various types of train
collisions like head-on, side and rear-end collisions and
those caused due to infringement by derailed vehicles on
The official said "it is a known fact that more than 50
per cent collisions on railways were caused by lapses of loco
pilots who are one of the most stressful lot, necessitating
technical aid to them for preventing collisions."
In the Railway Budget 2010, the then Railway Minister
Mamata Banerjee had announced safety measures.
"To make railways safer, anti-collision devices (ACD)
and Train Protection Warning Systems (TPWS) are proposed to be
installed. While ACDs are already installed in the NF Railway,
it will be expanded to three more zonal railways. The TPWS
pilot project spanning 828 route-km will be implemented this
year," according to the Budget proposal.
Also, automatic fire and smoke detection system were
proposed to be installed in 20 pairs of long-distance trains
in the Rail Budget.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery