Twelve years on, no ACD in most trains
New Delhi: Twelve years ago, Konkan Railway
had developed anti-collision devices (ACD) for prevention of
train accidents but till date the devices are yet to be
installed in all trains.
ACDs were installed in January 2001 in a section of
Northeast Frontier Railway after successful trials.
Even though there have many major accidents since then,
the railways are yet to install ACDs in all trains.
The train accident in Tamil Nadu last night could have
been prevented had there been ACD installed in those trains,
said a senior Konkan Railway official.
ACD is designed to prevent various types of train
collisions like head-on, side and rear-end collisions and
those caused due to infringement by derailed vehicles on
The official said "it is a known fact that more than 50
per cent collisions on railways were caused by lapses of loco
pilots who are one of the most stressful lot, necessitating
technical aid to them for preventing collisions."
In the Railway Budget 2010, the then Railway Minister
Mamata Banerjee had announced safety measures.
"To make railways safer, anti-collision devices (ACD)
and Train Protection Warning Systems (TPWS) are proposed to be
installed. While ACDs are already installed in the NF Railway,
it will be expanded to three more zonal railways. The TPWS
pilot project spanning 828 route-km will be implemented this
year," according to the Budget proposal.
Also, automatic fire and smoke detection system were
proposed to be installed in 20 pairs of long-distance trains
in the Rail Budget.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Migrant arrivals inch up after failed Turkey coup: Greece
- Second French church attacker formally identified: Prosecutors
- HUGE HONOUR! PM Narendra Modi featured in Obama's DNC introduction video - WATCH
- NASA reveals new information on Sun's magnetic field and its kin!
- Argentine FA hope for Lionel Messi international U-turn