Twin shutdowns in Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh will see two shut downs on Saturday, one by supporters of Congress MP YS Jaganmohan Reddy over his detention and another by Telangana supporters to condemn the firing by Reddy`s followers on an activist who suffered critical injuries.
The shutdown by Reddy`s supporters has been called in Kadapa district over their leader being taken into preventive custody Friday while he was on his way to a rally in Warangal in the Telangana regions.
The planned rally led to widespread violence in Warangal district as Reddy`s supporters clashed with those supporting the demand for statehood to Telangana. Reddy is opposed to the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh.
A Telangana activist was critically injured near Mahbubabad railway station in Warangal district when Reddy`s supporters allegedly fired at the crowd gathered to prevent the Congress MP’s entry. Police also fired to quell the violence.
To condemn the firing on the supporter, the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) have called for a Telangana shutdown.
Reddy has planned a state-wide tour to console the families of those who committed suicide or died of shock following the death of his chief minister father YS Rajasekhara Reddy in a helicopter crash last year.
While Reddy has been escorted back to Hyderabad by police, the Kadapa shutdown is being organised by the district Congress committee.
Visakhapatnam, Krishna, Guntur, Anantapur, Chittoor and Kadapa districts in Andhra region of the state Friday saw widespread protests by Reddy`s followers following his detention.
Telangana political parties joint action committee convener M Kodandaram said the Telangana bandh on Saturday was against the firing on the Telangana activist.
Students’ Joint Action Committees of Osmania University and Kakatiya University, which are in the Telangana region, have extended support to the shutdown.
Telangana activists also held demonstrations and burnt effigies of Reddy at Osmania University and in Karimnagar, Warangal, Nalgonda and Nizamabad districts in Telangana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Congress, Marxist MLA duo joins Trinamool
- Maruti sets up water ATM at Kasan; to open 3 more in the region
- Kejriwal bullying people, misusing Delhi funds in Punjab: Akali Dal
- Arshad Warsi, Boman Irani impress with brand new poster of 'The Legend of Michael Mishra'
- Reliance Jio's 4G rollout in next three months: CLSA