Two 1993 blast convicts seek time to surrender
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Friday, May 17, 2013, 19:50
  
Mumbai: A day after actor Sanjay Dutt and four others surrendered before a TADA court in the 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts case, two more convicts moved separate applications in the court seeking time to surrender on medical grounds.

Sharif (Dada) Parkar, who is over 80 years' old, has been hospitalised following pain in chest and doctors have advised him to undergo angioplasty, his lawyer Farhana Shah told the court of designated Judge G A Sanap.

Another convict Zebunisa Kazi, aged 75 years, urged the court through her lawyer that she had been advised medical tests and hence sought time until May 20 to surrender.

The judge, however, said that it would not be possible for his court to give them time to surrender as the deadline fixed by the Supreme Court in this regard had already expired.

While Parkar was to surrender yesterday, Kazi was to give herself up before the court on Friday.

However, the judge said he would pass an order on their applications after hearing the prosecution.

Prosecutor Deepak Salvi informed that he would move an application later seeking non-bailable arrest warrants against these two convicts as they had not surrendered in keeping with the deadline fixed by the Supreme Court.

According to prosecution, Parkar had played a role in organising the landing of arms and ammunition in Raigad district at the instance of Tiger Memon.

The arms and RDX were used in the Mumbai serial bomb blasts. He had also arranged a conspiracy meeting in Raigad to enable participation of co-accused.

Kazi had allegedly allowed co-accused to keep weapons in her house. The arms were later taken away from her house by other accused. Possessing weapons is an offence under TADA (P) Act.

PTI


First Published: Friday, May 17, 2013, 19:50


comments powered by Disqus