Two AI flights delayed due to Hurricane Sandy
New Delhi: Air India on Monday said its Mumbai-Newark and Delhi-New York flights have been "indefinitely delayed" due to Hurricane Sandy which is set to hit the East Coast of the United States.
An Air India spokesperson said AI 191 Mumbai-Newark and AI 101 Delhi-New York have been indefinitely delayed due to the hurricane.
Passengers have been informed and transit passengers have been provided hotel accommodation in Delhi, the spokesperson said.
Expected to landfall tonight with a gusty wind and heavy rainfall, the hurricane is likely to create havoc in major parts of the United States in its East Coast ? from North Carolina to New England as far west as the Great Lakes.
US President Barack Obama has declared emergency in a number of states including New York, New Jersey, Virginia, District of Columbia and Massachusetts.
Thousands of emergency staff have been put in alert; government offices and schools have been closed for today and tomorrow and hundreds and thousands of people from the low lying areas have been asked to evacuate, as the hurricane is expected to bring potentially life-threatening storm surges on the coast ranging from several feet to potentially as high as 11-feet in the coastal areas.
The metro systems of several cities including that of Washington DC, the national capital, Philadelphia and New York, which has the world`s largest rapid transit system.
The United Nations headquarters in New York too have been shut down for two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali