Two cargo ships collide in Hooghly River, sinking
Kolkata: Two foreign container vessels
collided head-on in the Hooghly River in South 24 Parganas
district Tuesday, leaving both the ships damaged.
The collision between the ships, `Green valley` and
`Tiger Spring` occurred at about 11.30 am at the confluence of
the Hooghly and Rupnarayan rivers near Nurpur under Ramnagar
police station area, District police superintendent L N Meena
One of the vessels was registered in Bahamas.
The accident occurred when Tiger Spring, after unloading its containers at Kolkata Dock System (KDS) of Kolkata Port Trust was going back through Rangaphala channel collided with Green Valley, which was coming to the KDS.
"Tiger Spring was severely damaged and has started sinking," Arun Kumar Bagchi, director, marine department of the port trust.
As per reports, the crew of both the ships are yet to be evacuated. Coast Guard is spearheading the rescue operation.
Currently, there is high tide and the situation may turn for the worse once the low tide phase begins.
Kolkata Port Trust (KoPT) chairman M L Meena has confirmed that there is neither any casualty nor any oil leak due to the collision.
One of the ships was sailing from Kolkata to Haldia
and the other from Haldia to Kolkata, Meena said.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India