Two crore Aadhaar numbers generated in October `11
New Delhi: The UIDAI, which issues national
identity cards to citizens, said on Tuesday it generated two crore
Aadhaar numbers in the month of October.
"In another major milestone, the Unique Identification
Development Authority of India (UIDAI) has generated two crore
Aadhaar numbers in the month of October, 2011, alone," an
official statement said.
The UIDAI launched the Aadhaar scheme in September last
year and the authority was to issue 200 million national
identity cards bearing unique numbers by end-March, 2012.
"While in 2010, it took three months to cross the one
million-mark, we have the capability to generate that many
Aadhaar cards in a day now. We would work on stabilising and
consolidating this capability in the coming days. We have been
able to achieve this speed and scale due to our multiple
registrar model, as well as scalable technical architecture,"
UIDAI Chairman Nandan Nilekani said.
At present, there are around 20,000 enrollment stations
across the country being run by about 50 registrars for
registration of citizens under the scheme.
The UIDAI has generated 59.6 million crore Aadhaar
numbers in a short span of a little more than a year and more
than 100 million citizens have enrolled themselves in the
system across the country, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly