Two crore Aadhaar numbers generated in October `11
New Delhi: The UIDAI, which issues national
identity cards to citizens, said on Tuesday it generated two crore
Aadhaar numbers in the month of October.
"In another major milestone, the Unique Identification
Development Authority of India (UIDAI) has generated two crore
Aadhaar numbers in the month of October, 2011, alone," an
official statement said.
The UIDAI launched the Aadhaar scheme in September last
year and the authority was to issue 200 million national
identity cards bearing unique numbers by end-March, 2012.
"While in 2010, it took three months to cross the one
million-mark, we have the capability to generate that many
Aadhaar cards in a day now. We would work on stabilising and
consolidating this capability in the coming days. We have been
able to achieve this speed and scale due to our multiple
registrar model, as well as scalable technical architecture,"
UIDAI Chairman Nandan Nilekani said.
At present, there are around 20,000 enrollment stations
across the country being run by about 50 registrars for
registration of citizens under the scheme.
The UIDAI has generated 59.6 million crore Aadhaar
numbers in a short span of a little more than a year and more
than 100 million citizens have enrolled themselves in the
system across the country, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic faces Roger Federer in the semi-final clash
- Share household chores with wife for super sex life
- BJP seeks Arvind Kejriwal's arrest over water tanker scam report
- Rajan wants central banks to keep off competitive devaluation
- Shiv Sena backs Subramanian Swamy, takes a dig at BJP leadership