Two Dalits burnt alive, tension runs high in Haryana village
Chandigarh: A physically challenged girl
and her father were burnt alive when some persons set afire
houses belonging to Dalits in a village in Haryana`s Hisar
district on Wednesday.
Eighteen-year-old Suman was charred to death while her
father Tara Chand, 70, who suffered 90 per cent burns, died
later, officials said adding the incident happened in Mirchpur
Members of a particular community raided the village
and set afire some 12 to 15 Dalit houses, they said.
Old enmity between the two communities coupled with
flaring up of the tension in the past few days led to today`s
incident, the officials said.
A few days back, some members of a community allegedly
passed objectionable remarks against Dalit women.
This provoked retaliation from the Dalits who roughed
up some youths of the rival community, villagers said.
Hisar Deputy Commissioner O P Sheron said that the
extent of damage to property and the exact number of houses
torched were being ascertained.
A large posse of policemen were deployed in the village
where tension ran high.
Haryana`s Director General Police Ranjiv Dalal said
25 people hade been arrested in connection with the arson.
The trial would be conducted in a fast-track court, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi