Two found guilty in Kozhikode twin blast case

Last Updated: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 18:20

Kochi: In the first verdict in NIA-
investigated terror case in Kerala, a court on Thursday held
suspected LeT militant T Naseer and another man guilty of
offences in the March 3, 2006, twin blasts case in Kozhikode.

The CBI Special court here, the designated court hearing
National Investigation Agency cases, however, acquitted two
other accused. While Abdul Halim got the benefit of doubt,
there was no evidence against C Yusuf, judge S Vijay Kumar
said.

The quantum of punishment will be pronounced tomorrow.

The court held there was sufficient material against
Naseer, an accused in 2008 Bangalore blasts case, and Shafas
and found them guilty in the Kozhikode blasts in which two
policemen and a porter were injured.

NIA had filed the charge sheet in August 2010 against
eight men, listing Naseer as prime accused.

The accused had been chargsheeted under various Sections of
IPC, including Sect 120B (criminal conspiracy), 153A
(promoting enmity between different groups), relevant sections
of Unlawful Assembly Prevention Act, 1967, and Explosive
Substance Act.

Naseer is also named as an accused in the burning of a
Tamil Nadu state bus in 2005 at nearby Kalamassery by
suspected PDP activists to protest against PDP leader Abdul
Nasser Madani`s detention in connection with the 1998
Coimbatore bomb blasts which claimed 58 lives and left over
200 injured. While one of the accused Fayas was killed in an encounter
with security forces in Kashmir, another accused Shammi Firoz
was made an approver. Two others who are at large abroad have
been declared as wanted.

About 58 prosecution witnesses were examined.

There was strong police presence in the court premises
when the judgement was pronounced with media personnel allowed
inside the court room only with photo identity cards.

Meanwhile, the Kerala High court today dismissed a
petition by Naseer and other accused for a stay on the
pronouncement of the judgement by the NIA court.

Dismissing the petition, a division bench comprising
Justice V Ram Kumar and P Q Barkat Ali said "we are not
inclined to accept the submission made on behalf of the
petitioners that the arguments with regard to the subject
matter had been referred by the special court.

Such submission was denied by NIA counsel.
The bench held the judgement in the case after trial was
the `logical conclusion` and vacated the earlier stay imposed
on pronouncement.

The accused have also filed a petition in the High Court,
challenging the NIA decision to make Shafas an approver. A
single judge had yesterday referred the petition to a division
bench.

PTI



First Published: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 18:18

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus