Two Independent LS members join BJP
New Delhi: BJP got a shot in the arm Monday with two sitting Independent members of the Lok Sabha from Bihar- Putul Kumari and Om Prakash Yadav- joining the party ahead of the General Elections.
Putul Kumari- who became MP from Banka constituency in November, 2010 after her husband and sitting MP Digvijay Singh expired- joined the BJP in the presence of party president Rajnath Singh.
Another first time MP- Om Prakash Yadav who represents Siwan in the Lok Sabha- also joined the BJP.
After its alliance with JD(U) broke in Bihar, BJP has been engaged in strengthening its cadre and presence in the state.
With BJP`s prospects arguably on the rise, political leaders from various states have sent overtures to the party to join it ahead of the Lok Sabha elections. The party is likely to induct some more leaders in the coming days, sources said.
Welcoming the two MPs to the BJP, Rajnath Singh said people are unhappy with the Congress and want a change of government.
"Congress has also accepted the fact that it will lose the Lok Sabha elections. As I said at our party conclave, Congress will indulge in all kinds of activities in its bid to prevent BJP from coming to power," Singh said.
He claimed that BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi is the most popular leader in the country today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes