Two Indian women in Pak jail despite acquittal
Lahore: A Pakistani court here has taken
suo moto notice of the incarceration of two Indian women in a
prison here and has sought a report from authorities after
they wrote to a judge seeking help.
Lahore High Court Chief Justice Ijaz Ahmad Chaudhry
acted after Parveen Jahan and Gul Afroz, who are being held in
Kot Lakhpat Jail, wrote a letter to him saying that they had
been acquitted in a case but so far they were not released.
Both said that being Indian nationals they were not
being released from jail as their passports and other
documents were in possession of the provincial Home Secretary
for clearance. They sought help for their release and return
The Chief Justice yesterday took suo moto notice of
their letter and converted it into a writ petition.
He directed the Home Secretary of Punjab province and
the Superintendent of Kot Lakhpat Jail to submit a report on
the matter by July 11.
He also directed Additional Advocate General Muhammad
Hanif Khatana to ensure that authorities complied with the
court`s order and assist it in the matter.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged