Two LeT men facilitated Jundal`s escape to Bangladesh in 2006
Mumbai: Arrested LeT operative Sayed Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal has told interrogators that after the Maharashtra ATS had seized a arms haul in Aurangabad in 2006, he managed to escape to Pakistan via Bangladesh with the help of two Indian operatives of the terror organisation.
"In May 2006 when he was on the run in Aurangabad arms haul case, he escaped to Bangladesh from where he got a fake passport in the name of Saeed with the help of LeT operatives there. From there he had flown to Pakistan," a senior crime branch official said.
Jundal`s "hassle-free" journey from Bangladesh was organised by the LeT bosses in Pakistan, the official added.
In the Aurangabad arms case, a Maharashtra ATS team had chased a Tata Sumo and an Indica car on the Chandwad-Manmad highway on May 8, 2006, and arrested three terror suspects, while seizing a huge cache of 30 kg RDX, 10 AK-47s and 3,200 bullets.
The Indica, which was allegedly driven by Jundal, who hails from Beed district of Maharashtra, however, managed to give police the slip. Jundal then allegedly drove to Malegaon and handed over the vehicle to an acquaintance there.
Investigators had later seized 13 kg of RDX and six AK-47s from Malegaon and 50 grenades from Ankai village near Manmad in Nashik district.
According to police, as of now as many as 21 terror suspects are behind the bars in connection with the Arms haul case.
"From Malegaon, Jundal went to Aurangabad by road route and took a shelter in a mosque," the official said, adding that "Jundal was helped by his associate in Aurangabad to escape to Kolkata where one more aide ensured his journey to Murshidabad district of West Bengal and then to Bangladesh".
In Pakistan, Jundal had undergone trainings called "Daura-E-Aam" and "Daura-E-Khas" in 2006 at LeT terror camps, the same trainings obtained by Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving Pakistani gunman of the 26/11 strike.
Jundal was arrested by Delhi Police in late June after being deported from Saudi Arabia. He was arrested by Mumbai Police on July 21 for his alleged complicity in the 26/11 terror attack case and was remanded in police custody till July 31 by a local court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room