Two LeT militants killed in Kashmir
Jammu: A top Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) commander
was among two militants shot dead by Army troops during an
encounter in Ramban district of Jammu and Kashmir.
The two militants have been identified as most wanted
militant and top LeT Commander of Pir Panchal belt Ayaz Ahmed
Malik alais `Musa` and Farooq Ahmed Thakri alais Zulfikar
Nain, a senior Army officer said.
The troops recovered two AK-47 rifles, six magazines, 160
rounds, 10 Chinese grenades, a satellite phone, a mobile
phone, a pair of binoculars and a compass from their hideout
in Banihal area of Ramban district, he said.
Acting on information about the presence of a group of
top militants in the region, a team from the 22 Rastriya
Rifles cordoned off the area and launched the operation at
around 1 AM today, the Army officer of 16 Corps said.
The militants hurled grenades and opened indiscriminate
firing on the troops who fired back, resulting in a fierce
gunbattle which continued for several hours, he said.
Musa had escaped five encounters and was involved in two
dozen attacks on security forces, killing of SPOs and
informers and recruitment of youth in militancy since he
joined the LeT in 2001.
Nain was active in Shopian belt of south Kashmir and
shifted his base to south Pir Panchal area in 2008. He was the
self-styled Operation Chief of the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Speed trial of Spanish-built Talgo train conducted on Bareilly-Moradabad rail route
- The never-ending vigil for millions yearning to bury their dead
- Irrfan Khan's 'Madaari' release date postponed, will hit screens on July 15!
- Indus era at least 8,000 years old, not 5,500; culminated due to climate change!
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Sunny Leone, Taapsee Pannu – Stars who donned the purple colour in elan!